Friday, April 25, 2008

Conscious Business

Conscious Business: How to Build Value Through Values

A definitely not appealing and quite corporate title and and an even worse cover. Just reading the title many of you might have wondered why am I bringing this book on my travels.

Well ironically I discovered this book because it was part of a course in the previous company I was working for. Ironically because it was one of the main books that helped me make up my mind and leave the company to go wandering through the world.

Despite the title the book really is more about living a your life coherently and with integrity, and then applying these principles to your business as well.

One of the illuminating concepts expressed in Conscious Business is the Unconditional Responsibility. We tend to complain a lot about basically everything; and often we fell victims of external factors, ranging from the weather to traffic or to your boss. But who really makes these decisions? We are responsible from everything happening to us, rain included. In the weather case we decide to live in a place with rain, usually because there are other things that make us live there or that we love there (friends, family, job, etc.). Is the room cold or I am feeling cold? If you're not part of the problem you cannot be part of the solution.

Personally this book is still quite useful to me even now that I am no longer in a corporate environment. I am possibly in the most different environment from corporate, flashpacking around the world, but still the habit of complaining about external factors can easily kick in. Not enjoying a place because it's full of tourist? Wishing sometime I wasn't travelling on my own? Unlucky with the accommodation? Well who's to blame?



Part of Books Travelling with Me Section. Read my personal disclaimer and find out about more books there.